The Painted Hall is a striking baroque space designed by Sir Christopher Wren and Nicholas Hawksmoor, and often described as the “finest dining hall in Europe”. It features spectacular wall and ceiling decoration by Sir James Thornhill, who lavished 19 years on this, his masterwork. The awe inspiring Painted Hall is available for evening hire and particularly suited to large gala dinners, awards dinners and drinks receptions.
The Painted Hall has been closed for an ambitious conservation project since October 2016. With work nearing completion, we are preparing to open our doors to events from mid-January 2019.
For a limited time only, the Painted Hall will also be available for private hire in the daytime. This offer is unique for January to March 2019, when evening only hire will be available.
A model day
Arriving by boat is an excellent way to start your event, setting the tone for an occasion to impress. With the pier leading right onto the site, your event will strike the perfect note from the very beginning, as you alight to take in the stunning view. You may like to welcome your guests at the King William Colonnade for a pre-dinner drinks reception surrounded by stunning views and arresting architecture. During the colder months, one of our atmospheric Undercrofts makes the perfect reception venue.
Your guests will be called to dinner and the big reveal – when they set eyes on the incredible Painted Hall for the first time. Here you will enjoy a meal befitting of the exquisite surroundings, delivered with impeccable service. Should you wish to have an after-dinner party, then the Queen Mary or King William Undercroft can host a bar and dancing.Whether you join us for dinner or for a drinks reception, we can help you get the most from your event; perhaps you would like an onsite guide on hand to offer an illuminating interpretation of the Thornhill paintings which adorn the hall. We can also suggest a variety of gifts or guidebooks to purchase as mementos for guests.
Need to Know:
- The Painted Hall is open to the public from 10:00 am, 7 days a week. The earliest venue hire access to the Hall is 5pm. Should earlier access be required, this is strictly at the discretion of the Old Royal Naval College Management.
- CH&Co Catering is the contracted caterer for the Old Royal Naval College.
- The venue is not available for dry hire.
- No naked flames, including candles.
- Dancing is not permitted in the Painted Hall so will take place in the Undercroft below.
- The maximum capacity for the Painted Hall is 400 guests, seated or standing.
- 400 Standing
- 400 Dinner
- 300 Theatre Style with stage